1. Numerous Health issues: The Smart Meter is digital and wireless and is emitting dirty electricity and powerful, pulsed RF radiation into the home every 3-6 seconds. It is affecting people’s health; some immediately have reactions; others more slowly. People are complaining of headaches, dizziness, nausea, insomnia, earaches, nose bleeding, heart palpitations, brain fog, and general feeling of weakness. The RF also interferes with medical devices such as pace makers. Smart meter radiation is a Class 2B carcinogen according to the World Health Organization (pdf) (http://stopsmartmeters.org/), that alters DNA and blood cells. (*pp.11-44)
2. No Scientific Testing: Smart Meters have never been properly tested or studied. The EIR Environmental Impact Study was waived. The Smart Meters were granted a CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) exemption with no explanation, and there are no safety standards for chronic long term RF exposures that these meters emit. The FCC safety standards are for only short term exposures, 6 – 30 minutes long and for “thermal” exposure, not for nonthermal radiation. Most of the FCC data for wireless devices is outdated – back in 1996, when cell phones were just starting. Nothing has been tested for smart meter radiation itself. (*pp. 2,4,134)
3. Smart Meters are not UL Certified, required under most state’s electrical code for all electrical appliances and equipment within the home. Active Product certifications can be verified by going to www.UL.com, click on “on-line certifications directory.” The lack of certification was confirmed by Karl E. Moeller, Senior Customer Service Engineer II, HVAC, Appliances, and Lighting, Underwriters Laboratories Inc., 1285 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747 (see http://bit.ly/fWUqA7). (*p. 45)
4. Risk of Hacking: A computerized RF system of control over all the electrical power and appliances in one’s home, including personal computers, could be penetrated by hackers, just as so many other supposed “fool-proof” systems have been. Private information and privacy rights would be at risk. Meters could be reprogrammed. Someone would know when the family was not home, a great time to break in. (*pp. 47-48)
5. Risk of Fires: Many fires in new wireless meters have been reported or fires that the meters have caused. A whistle-blower from Wellington Energy, PG&E’s installation contractor, alleged serious breaches in safety procedures by installers, who are temp workers – not trained professionals as required by the Federal Communications Commission. Reports of fires, shorts, and electrocutions are also being reported in other countries where ‘Smart’ Meters are being installed, such as Australia. (http://bit.ly/fWUqA7) (*pp. 46-47)
6. Mega Meters located on every 500 homes: They serve as mini-cell phone towers, collecting the data from 500 homes. Some are connected to a telephone line, with which it sends its data to the utility company. Other medusas are wireless. One can imagine how much radiation is emitted coming from a mega meter. (*p. 71)
7. Smart Meters Often Have Higher Rates: Many people are complaining that their costs have doubled or tripled since the smart meters were installed on their homes. Six hundred complaints had been received by PG&E in Northern California because of higher rates (3/2010). http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/San-Francisco-Moves-To-Stop-SmartMeters-96618524.html) (*P. 15)
8. Problems in Accuracy – 43,000 cases in Northern California: 4/ 26, 2011, Helen Burt, PG&E’s senior V.P. of customer relations, after intense interrogation admitted before the state Senate Select Committee on the Smart Grid that 9,000 of their Smart Meters had not communicated energy usage back to PG&E; 11,300 Smart Meters simply failed to work and another 23,000 Smart Meters were installed improperly. (ABC Channel 7 TV news, KGO “7 on Your Side,” S.F., 5/26/11) (*p. 14)
9. Smart Meters are Heating Up and Charging Higher Costs: On May 3, 2011, it was reported that some Smart Meters err in calculations when the temperature outside is over 100 degrees, causing a higher billing for their customers. (SF Chronicle, 6/3/2011,“PG&E Finds Some Smart Meters Erred When too Hot,” (http://www.sfgate.com/cgibin/article.cgi?f=/) (*p. 15)
10. The Department of Energy’s Stated Purpose of the Smart Grid is to reduce carbon emissions and green house gases. Why? CO2 is piped into green houses to make the plants grow. CO2 is what has produced a green planet over the life time of the earth. It is not a pollutant. Since global warming is being so thoroughly discredited, the mantra is now “climate change.
11. The Smart Meter Program is Really about “Changing Our Behavior” and Rationing Energy: The system does not deliver more efficient use of energy and isn’t meant to. Those behind it proudly admit that the program is really about “changing our behavior.” It is about “rationing” energy and controlling our lives under the excuse of saving green house gases and preserving energy. (*p. 181)
12. Smart Meters are Surveillance Devices that are Violating Federal and State Wiretapping Laws: They are recording and storing data of private and personal activities and behaviors without the consent of the people who are being monitored. Such data could be then sold to the highest bidder. (You Tube Videos: Rob States, The Dark Side of Smart Meters , and Jerry Day, *pp. 100, 197)
13. Smart Meters are Unconstitutional: • Violation of The Tenth Amendment which leaves to the states whatever is not mentioned in the Constitution. (*p. 23) • They are not Mandatory: The Energy Policy Act of 2005 does not mandate Smart Meters: It only mandates utilities to “offer” them and to install them “upon customer request. (Section 1252, pp. 370-374) (*p. 18) • Procedures are to be Just: “All such agreements and procedures shall be just and reasonable, and not unduly discriminatory or preferential.” [Page 119 STAT. 971] Forcing a smart meter on a home without permission or knowledge was not just or reasonable. For those who have low incomes and their rates have skyrocketed, they would say this was “discriminatory and preferential.” • The Smart Meters Violate the Fourth Amendment: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated…” When you have a Smart Meter constantly snooping Thirty Talking Points Against Smart Meters By Orlean Koehle Author of *Just Say No to Big Brother’s Smart Meter into your home 24 hours a day, keeping data on what you are doing, what part of the house you are in, where the electricity is being used, what appliances you are using and when, that is an invasion of privacy. (*p. 23) • Smart Meters Violate the 14th Amendment: …“No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges …nor deprive any person of life, liberty, or property …nor deny … equal protection of the laws.” When utility companies take away property – the analog meter that came with the owner’s home – without any permission and “deploy” a smart meter in its place, this is denying their rights of liberty and property. Forcing citizens who object to a smart meter to have to pay a monthly fee to opt out would be “abridging privileges” and not granting “equal protection” under the law. (*p. 23)
14. Violation of the California Constitution: Article One – Declaration of Rights: “All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are “enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.” Forcing a Smart Meter on every Californian is a violation of our basic rights of: 1) “enjoying and defending life and liberty:” 2) “enjoying possessing and protecting our own property:” 3) “pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy. (p. 25)
15. Much Money Used to Entice the States to Take the Big Carrot: Billions of dollars loaded into the Economic Stabilization Act 2008, $3.4 billion, and $4.5 billion of the Stimulus 2009 package are buying access to individual states and swaying the governors of the states to go along. The Department of Energy then dispersed the money to implement the Smart Grid system. (*pp. 186-189)
16. The Costs of Smart Grid Investments “Recovered from Ratepayers”: PURPA allows utilities to recover from ratepayers any “capital, operating expenditures, or other costs of the smart grid investment, including a reasonable rate-of-return.” It allows utilities to recover book value of any equipment rendered obsolete by the deployment of such smart grid systems. (Page 6 )
17. The Public is Being Fleeced with a New Tax Bill. “The Smart Grid system is nothing more than a system of accelerated energy costs with accompanying tax increases: “Ratepayers” are actually taxpayers. This is a new TAX forcing the public to finance SMART METERS/GRID at the rate of 100% of costs plus a profit margin written into it. … Marty Oakley, “Smart Meters, No Federal Mandate,” (http://www.activistpost.com/2011/08/smart-meters-no-federal-mandate.html (*p.189)
18. The United Nations is Promoting Smart Meters and the Smart Grid through Agenda 21, which was devised back in 1992 at a conference held in June in Rio de Janeiro called UN Agenda 21 or Sustainable Development, which was signed onto by heads of state of 179 nations, including U.S. President Bush Sr.
19. Agenda 21 is an all encompassing comprehensive plan that seeks to control every aspect in which “humans impact on the environment.” (http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/agenda21/) Energy use is definitely one of those, thus the UN seeks to control it.
20. ICLEI – how Agenda 21 is being implemented locally: ICLEI stands for International Council on Local Environmental Initiative, but now call themselves Local Government for Sustainability.” Over 600 cities in the USA belong to ICLEI; 150 in California alone. The California Public Utility Company also belong to ICLEI and is under their control and influence. ICLEI is pushing smart meters as an excuse to lower energy emissions to the 1990 levels in accordance to the Kyota protocol. (*p. 219)
21. The UN Environmental Programme (UNEP) is also behind the Smart Gird. It calls for “changing our world into a “Green Economy,” “decoupling, reconfiguring” businesses, infrastructure, resources and institutions to more “sustainable.” (*p. 212)
22. The Origin of the Smart Grid Plan: A book called Technocracy, written back in 1932 by Howard Scott and M. King Hubbert, was calling for an economic revolution and a new international economic order based on energy accounting rather than price accounting. An energy-based accounting system, “energy certificates,” or Carbon Currency, instead of dollars or other fiat currencies.
23. Provisions of the Technocracy Study Course Match what The Smart Grid Provides Today – Namely, to exhaustively monitor, measure and control every kilowatt of energy delivered to consumers and businesses on a system-wide basis: [Scott, Howard et al, Technocracy Study Source, p. 232] (*pp. 205-206)
24. Smart Grid encompasses too much “Big Brother Monitoring and Control” over all generation, distribution and consumption of electrical power, with an inclusion for gas and water (starting 2012). They can even tell what Television show or DVD is being watched, and the plan is to have RF chips in modern appliances so the meters can speak to the chips and control them. (*pp.120-121)
25. Smart Meter Neighborhood Communication Tiers and Mesh of Radiation Affect Everyone: Even if you do not have a smart meter, if your neighbors do, then you will be affected by the radiation neighborhood mesh and their data collection ability. The idea is to create a “seamless flow of data between communication tiers.” (*pp. 206-215)
26. Global Companies are Rushing to Gain a Share of the Global Smart Grid Market: IBM, Siemens, GE, Cisco, Panasonic, Kyocera, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc. China is spending $7.32 billion for the Smart Grid in Asia. Countries with Smart Grid pilot projects already launched include Germany, France, England, Russia, Japan, India, Australia, South Africa and many others. Organizations such as SMARTGRIDS Africa have been set up to promote Smart Grid in smaller countries. (*p. 214)
27. CO2 Trading (Cap and Trade) is Part of the Plan and Already Exists: It was an invention of the Kyoto Protocol in 1997 and gained momentum in 2002 in the UK. It became international law in 2005 and is predicted to reach $3 trillion by 2020 or earlier. It is greatly promoted by Al Gore, who is like a stock broker and gets a fee for every transaction of carbon credit trading. (*pp.184-193)
28. A New Cashless Economy Based on Carbon Currency is not that “Fat Fetched.” Prominent publications are writing about it. Of course, it can only take place if the continued fear tactic of “global warming” is promoted as true science. (*pp.216-217)
29. Smart Meters/ Smart Grid are Part of the Agenda 21 Population Control Plan: There is a population control agenda that is blatantly spoken of by the elite of the UN. They believe the world is over populated, and mankind himself produces too much CO2, so, therefore, if we are to curb greenhouse gas emissions, we must curb mankind — decrease the population. (pp. 226-230)
30. The Smart Meter/ Smart Grid system will enable technocracy’s original goals to succeed – to impose a totalitarian, scientific economic dictatorship on the world. This is why the American people repudiated Technocracy in 1933, and this is exactly why we should thoroughly repudiate it today. (Just Say No to Big Brother’s Smart Meters, www.SmallHelmPressAssociates.org.)